Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Political Frame

No, I'm not talking about the race for government office, I'm talking about the political frame as it relates to office politics. Personally, I'd like to be able to do my job the best they can and for people to do the same. However, this is not some goody-goody, Utopian society so it's not going to happen.

As I'm reading about the topic I've realized that as much as I despise "playing the game" that's exactly what's going on; at least subconsciously. I can honestly say that I have not done any lying or cheating and have been faithful to myself, my ethics and my sense of honor. That relieves me.

I'm not a "yes man" and I'm not great at the office politics game but I suppose if I want to get a full time position and implement some of the great ideas I have I need to learn to form alliances, network out of my comfort zone and learn to "swim with the sharks." That's just how the world works these days.

Of course, I have no intention of compromising my sense of honor so if I never get ahead, I will at last have that. Honor is very important. It's who I am and that's not going to change.

That's one thing you can always count on as you read these posts and something I promise will never change. For better or worse, I will always be the real me.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about playing the game – office politics, networking, alliance formation.
    The political frame of reference is operating whether I acknowledge it or not. Figuring out how to relate on multiple levels – personal, casual, professional – must take a certain skill. I prefer to think of an alliance as someone I relate to out of shared interest and genuine respect. But I guess there is always the fear that networking will lead us to alliances that have neither of these characteristics. To ask for advice or help from someone we don’t know is well ... difficult. It feels awkward. But people like knowing their expertise is recognized, and often are happy to share. Maybe that’s all an alliance is.
    About the Eggplant Parmesan at the Spaghetti Factory; I always ordered that too. They must leave it on the menu to torment us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they do like toying with us. It's not easy finding a decent eggplant parm. Restaurants usually over salt or over cook it.

    With regards to "playing the game" I have seen that it is possible to join in without sacrificing your own sense of self or your morals and/or ethics. I'll let you know how that goes.

    ReplyDelete