Monday, May 5, 2014

Asian Staycation - Day 1

Day 1 -
Country - India
Food - Shrimp in Coconut Cream Sauce
Cookbook - Flavors of India: Authentic Indian Recipes, by Meena Pathak; pp.51 
Movies - Outsourced, Jeremy Piven's Journey of a Lifetime

The first movie I saw was Outsourced starring , and .  It was somewhat humorous if you can keep to the back of your mind all the jobs that were lost in the U.S. when the jobs were outsourced in a tough job market.  It was released in 2006, not long before the recession.  Bad timing.

There was a TV show of the same name that followed in 2010 starring , and
 
I thought the series was better and the banter had a kind of "Better Off Ted" feel to it.  

I also went over to YouTube and watched Jeremy Piven's Journey of a Lifetime.  This 2-part video follows the actor's vacation through India.

Part 1
Part 2


Tonight's meal was Shrimp in Coconut Cream Sauce.  Since I'm only cooking for one, I made some modifications to the book's recipe.  


I cut the shrimp from 2.5 lbs. to 1 lb.  In addition to a reduced number or portions it was also a cost saving measure.  I increased the tumeric from .75 tsp. to 1 tsp.  I knew the coconut milk and yogurt were going to cool the recipe flavor down so the extra tumeric kicked it back up to my preferred level of spicy.  

I also skipped the rice since I already have a couple of other recipes this week that call for rice and the dish was filling enough on its own.

I wish smell-o-vision had been invented because my kitchen smells really good right now.

Until tomorrow, I leave you with these pictures of my finished dish.

Michael











No comments:

Post a Comment