Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Asian Staycation - Day 2

Day 2 -
Country - China
Food - Classic Barbecued Spareribs, Vegetable Dumpling and Wonton Filling Cookbook - The Chinese Takeout Cookbook by Diana Kuan; pp. 33, 41
Movies - China Syndrome, Chinatown, Big Trouble in Little China





I saw three great classic movies today;  China Syndrome, Chinatown, Big Trouble in Little China.  They all have their strong points and it was nice to end on a lighter note.

I highly recommend all three!  If you're only going to see one, however, go with Big Trouble in Little China.  It's a hoot and a half!  I'm not one who can sit and watch movies for six hours even when on vacation so I during part of the movies I did some small business work and some gaming.  The exception was Big Trouble in Little China.  That movie deserved my full attention.  Keep on Truckin' Pork Chop Express!

BTW, the small business work is for my company Schor Enterprises LLC.  Currently, it's mostly eBay and Amazon sales of books, games and collectibles. There will be a lot more to come.  I'm trying to de-clutter and sell off what I don't absolutely need before I reach the hoarder level.  I shipped my second sold item today; an action figure I sold on consignment for a friend.

I'm considering April-June to be a soft launch phase; low quantity, "auction" or "buy it now" only.  By July, I should have the knack of shipping methods, inventory management and supply ordering.
When I officially launch in July I should should have several hundred to a couple thousand items ready for listing.  I'm trying to get a small SBA loan now so I can get some help cataloging, researching, pricing an listing writing.  If I can't get the loan, I'll try ASU and the other local colleges and libraries to see if I can find an intern willing to work for free experience.

But, enough work talk.  On to the food!




The first item I made was Boiled Vegetable Dumplings.  These were very filling and I forgot to cut the recipe in half so I have lots of extra for tomorrow.  I tried the boiled directions today and the mostly turned out pretty good.  They look like little green brains but they were tasty.  I think tomorrow I'll try the pan-fry method.






Pobody's Nerfect - Not everything worked out as planned ; here are the bloopers.  Too much water/water seeped inside, dumpling was too dry when it went into the pan or over-stuffed so it broke apart. 



The second recipe I cooked was Classic Barbecued Shortribs.
The recipe actually called for a full rack of St. Louis Style Porkribs but to save money and my weight, I chose to use 4 medium to large beef short ribs.  I used the full recipe for the marinade so I had plenty to baste with.   They came our tender and very flavorful.

I added a couple spoonfuls of Chinese "Hot" Mustard on the side for dipping.  It wasn't very hot but it still added another great layer of Asian flavors.






I am moving the third meal, Beef Chow Fun to the weekend.  Between the dumplings and short ribs I was stuffed.


See you tomorrow (or today since it's past midnight) when my train arrives in Vietnam.

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment