Saturday, July 30, 2011

A Day in the Life of a Librarian

Hello All,

Sorry it's been such a long time between posts.  I'm getting back into the blogging groove now.  I won't go into what's been happening in this post because I'm doing this one as a special "return to the blogosphere".  This blog post is being made for the Library Day in the Life Project. 

"The Library Day in the Life Project is a semi-annual event coordinated by Bobbi Newman of Librarian by Day. Twice a year librarians, library staff and library students from all over the globe share a day (or week) in their life through blog posts, photos, video and Twitter updates. "

Yours truly is #221 (out of, currently, 248)

So without further ado, here is a day in my life at the library for Tuesday, July 26 2011.

Today began with taking some photos for a project.



So, after I returned to my branch (my new location; more about that later) I had a little time before my cashier shift so I got caught up on emails (37 new ones since the day before) and began tracking down the library connections for legislation.  This is important information as I am on the Legislative Committee for YALSA and I'm trying to get the word out about our upcoming District Days events (more on that later as well).



After leaving a message for the contact person I found I went off to do my cashier shift.  This was a standard day in the cashier box.  It's great to see so many people finding books in the library shop as the money we make from there goes to help pay for our programming and other things.

After my cashier shift I had another "off pod" hour so I returned to my desk and did some more work on my new space science program youth services will be doing this Fall.  The PowerPoint and game board I am creating for this one is "The Sun".





After some time on the PowerPoint as well as refilling our handout/freebie/swag racks, checking in periodicals and newspapers, it was time again for some pod shifts.  I spent an hour on Pod 2 and an hour on Pod 1.   I answered various reference and readers' advisory questions and went on a quest for a missing DVD.  Then it was off the pod and back at my desk.  I read some current day's emails., went to help people with the public copier/printer and then planned the new library display.  The August display is "Cowboys and Aliens."  All this took up the last hour of my day and then it was home to work on the game board for the sun program and decompress before my next day at the library.

So that was my Tuesday in a real-world public library.  

Have fun all!  See you soon!

Michael

1 comment: